Learn Like a Pirate
Passing grades don’t equip students for life and career responsibilities. Learn Like a PIRATE shows how risk-taking and exploring passions in stimulating, motivating, supportive, self-directed classrooms creates students capable of making smart, responsible decisions on their own.
Collaboration. Empowerment. Student Leadership. These buzz words get a lot of press, but what do they really mean for today’s students? Can students really handle the responsibility of leading the class? Can they actually learn what they need to if they are working together so often? Won’t all this freedom cause chaos in the classroom? Not if you’re teaching them to learn like PIRATES!
- Peer Collaboration builds community and supports teamwork and cooperation.
- Improvement-focused learning challenges students to constantly strive to be their best.
- Responsibility for daily tasks builds ownership in the classroom.
- Active learning turns boring lessons into fun and memorable experiences.
- Twenty-first century skills engage students now and prepare them for their futures.
- Empowerment allows students to become confident risk-takers who make bold decisions.
In Learn Like a PIRATE, teachers will discover practical strategies for creating a student-led classroom in which students are inspired and empowered to take charge of their learning experience. You’ll learn strategies for:
- Crafting active, relevant, and interesting lessons
- Creating opportunities for student leadership
- Providing effective and beneficial feedback
- Instilling confidence so students can take risks
- Increasing curiosity and passion for learning
Incorporate the techniques and strategies Paul Solarz uses in his student-led classroom and watch your students transform into confident, collaborative leaders.