9 Ways to Make More Money as a Writer, Coach and Speaker
Writers, coaches and speakers want to add more moola to their businesses. If not, they don’t have a business. They have a hobby. Here are 9 ideas for how to make more money as a writer, coach and speaker.
1. Book more live events and/or speaking engagements. Duh! But do you know what the fastest way is to book more live opportunities for yourself? It’s to give more and serve more. The better you become at serving people who plan meetings with no strings attached before they decide to book you, the more opportunities will open up for you.
2. Increase your fees. Double duh! But do you know there is a magic formula for increasing your fees? Here it is…decide to increase your fees. Seriously, the best rule of thumb for how to increase your fees is to determine what you feel comfortable requesting and then raise that amount by just a little bit. Sounds simple, but it’s harder than most people think.
3. Offer products. One of the quickest ways to make more money as a writer, coach or speaker is to offer additional products. Write a book. Create a DVD. Sell memorabilia. Even sell someone else’s product. The key is to make sure all the products you offer are (1) connected to the core of your message and (2) increase the value of your message. Don’t just sell stuff. Only offer products that add value and depth to your brand message.
4. Package products. Wondering how you can make even more money with products? Offer packages instead of a single product. It’s much easier to sell three books for $40 than it is to sell one book for $15.
5. Sponsorship. It’s also easier to book coaching services and/or speaking engagements when someone other than the meeting planner in charge is paying fee. If you create programs worthy of sponsorship, you only have to convince one person to hire you.
6. Preview your other services. Speak for free and use your presentation to preview your coaching services, your training programs, and your writing workshops. For instance, speak for free at a writer’s conference and offer attendees the opportunity to register for your Writer Workshop 101 online coaching program.
7. Niche. Niche. Niche. The more narrowly you niche your topics and the audiences you serve, the greater top of mind awareness you create. It’s easier to get booked more and paid higher if you are a big fish in a small pond.
8. Host your own event. Don’t just depend on other people to book you. Book yourself! Host your own event in your area of expertise.
9. Don’t limit your speaking to one-time presentations. Speaking can lead to ongoing training, consulting, and even collaborative work.
Bonus Idea: The bottom line with all these suggestions is to authentically give and serve with no strings attached. And don’t just give as a way of getting something in return. Give simply to give and whatever ends up coming back to you will take care of itself.
Leave a comment: Which idea has worked best for you? What ideas would you add to the list?
Before starting Live It Forward in 2005, Kent led a number of large youth-serving organizations, most recently serving as the Executive Director of Alliance Youth, an organization that serves over 2,000 youth-serving groups across the United States. After 20 years of coaching, training, and speaking to thousands of students and young professionals, Kent has a unique perspective on why so many people lack the clarity and passion needed to SHOW UP AND SHINE in their life and career.
Today, through Live It Forward LLC, Kent coaches and trains hundreds of people each year to SHOW UP AND SHINE every day in every way. He speak all over the country to student leaders and professionals in the direct sales industry. Additionally, he equips speakers and wannabe speakers who are interested in maximizing their IMPACT and INCOME. Check out Kent’s upcoming Speak It Forward Boot Camp and Online Programs to discover how you can experience real success and profit as a speaker.